Carers UK recently launched a new research report, ‘Caring behind closed doors: 6 months on‘, which examines how the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact on carers’ lives. It is based on responses from over 5,900 carers and former carers who completed a recent survey.
To help carers get the support they urgently need, Carers UK are inviting carers to take part in their campaign by writing to local MPs and asking for their support in calling on the government to introduce a New Deal for Carers.
In the short term, they are calling on the government to continue to introduce measures that support carers, including:
- Making sure that carers can take breaks and that the return of essential services is prioritised
- Providing clear guidance, information, and advice specifically for carers
- Raising the level of Carer’s Allowance
- Supporting carers’ to look after their own health and wellbeing, and providing targeted funding for carers mental health support
- Ensuring that carers are better able to juggle work and care and remain in work
- Providing sufficient funding for social care over the winter.