Signpost Stockport for Carers is a local charity providing emotional and practical support to unpaid carers living in Stockport or caring for someone living in Stockport. We also support former carers.
Registering with Signpost
To access Signpost’s services including counselling, attending activities, receiving help to fill out benefits forms and getting a Connecting Carers Card, you’ll need to be registered. This consists of a few questions to help monitor our service and have a better understanding of your caring role. If you’re not already registered with us, please fill in the registration form.
If you have any problems filling out the online form, please contact us at email@example.com We can post a paper copy of the form but in the current Covid-19 period, there may be delays to the usual service. Email is the quickest option.
Connecting Carers Card
Signpost’s Connecting Carers Card is available to all current carers who are over 16 and registered with Signpost. You must be living in Stockport or caring for somebody living in Stockport. (There is an exemption to this during the Covid-19 pandemic where carers registered with a Stockport GP can also apply for the card, even if living outside Stockport).
The card has three functions:
1. It is a photo identification card which helpfully identifies you as a carer. The current national Covid-19 emergency has highlighted the critical importance of carers being able to ‘prove’ to people that they are a carer, especially when travelling from their home or shopping for their cared for person. Having a Connecting Carers Card may help them access special opening hours and be given higher priority for goods and services. We know many carers feel more confident carrying the card as they may not otherwise be easily recognised as somebody with a caring role.
2. It may help in an emergency. All carers should have a contingency plan. Should something happen to you, a member of the emergency services would be able to use the card to contact your next of kin or social work team.
3. It is a discount card. We are lucky to have the support of several ‘carer friendly’ businesses and services that are willing and able to offer something extra to carers. The list of places that you can use the card is available here, and we’ll also send you a printed copy once you’re registered. We are always looking to add to the list so if you, or someone you know, have any ideas please get in touch! Please be aware that the card is non-transferable and the businesses reserve the right to ask for additional ID.
How do I get a Connecting Carers Card?
1. Complete the application form here. Please read carefully and ensure you’re providing the exact information that is asked for.
2. Take a head and shoulders photo of yourself (passport style, though it’s fine to smile!) against a light background. Email it to claire@firstname.lastname@example.org who will process your Connecting Carers Card and post it to you. There is currently a waiting time of 1-2 weeks for cards.