Many local organisations care about supporting carers in Stockport. These include: Stockport Advocacy, Healthwatch, NHS Stockport Clinical Commissioning Group, Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust (mental health services), Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust (Stepping Hill hospital and community health services) and Viaduct Care (representing all Stockport GPs).
We understand that carers want:
- financial security to have a safe and comfortable home
- support to navigate the world of health and social care
- a life of their own outside the caring role and assurance in the case of an emergency
- to be listened to and have their views and opinions respected
- to be enabled to cope with their caring role, to be supported with difficult situations and manage challenges
- to be socially connected, to minimise stress and pressures, be active, and be able to achieve personal goals
- to look after their own health and wellbeing, get enough sleep and some ‘me time’
We have worked together to design a charter which will help to achieve these aims whilst also raising awareness of, and identifying, people who may be in a caring role. This charter should be used to guide every professional in Stockport who is working with carers. If you feel that you are coming into contact with professionals who are not upholding the promises of the charter, please refer them to its core principles.