Signpost’s carer-friendly checklist has been designed to help businesses in Stockport consider how they can better support carers within their workforce. From creating a carers’ policy to offering bereavement support, there are a number of options to consider. Get in touch for advice or for support in implementing your carer-friendly practices.
Employers for Carers
Did you know that Stockport Council are an umbrella member of Employers for Carers?
Employers for Carers (EfC) is the employer membership forum run by national carers charity, Carers UK. Since 2009, employers across the UK have signed up to this forum for guidance, resources, networking opportunities and support in becoming carer-friendly.
All 10 Greater Manchester councils joined in 2019 as ‘umbrella’ members which means that any SME (with fewer than 250 employees) or health partner (CCGs and GP surgeries included) in Greater Manchester can access an online platform of resources for FREE. From line manager e-Learning to template carers policies, there is a wealth of information at your fingertips.
To access the platform visit: www.efcdigital.org and create an account with Stockport’s unique password: EFCGMCA07
*Please note this members platform is aimed at the employer (line managers, Human Resources and Diversity & Inclusion staff) rather than working carers themselves, although there is still support for working carers available.
We will be developing more resources to assist employers in their journey to becoming more carer-friendly, in the meantime the following resources may be useful:
- A Greater Manchester Working Carer Toolkit
- How Can I Retain the Skills of My Employees Who Are Carers?
- A guide to becoming a carer-friendly workplace (CIPD)
- Supporting Working Carers (CIPD)
- CIPD Podcast – Hiding in plain sight: carers in the workplace
- Introducing Carer Passports
- Juggling Work and Unpaid Care: A Growing Issue
- Returner Programmes: Best Practice Guidance for Employers
- Returners: An Introductory Toolkit for Employers
- Interview Best Practice Checklist
- Interviewer Prompt Card: Unconscious bias
- Flexible Working: The Business Case
- Cross-sector Insights on Enabling Flexible Working
- CMI Flexible Working Guidance Document